Educator guides are developed to support academic standards, and focus on important topics, skills, and activities for students of different age and classroom ranges. Each guide is Based on the New York State Elementary Science Core Curriculum and the New York City New Standards™.
Seeing the Light Curriculum: K – 2
Life Sciences—The 5 Senses:
- Students use their sense of sight to investigate color.
Physical Science—Properties of Light:
- Observe light travels in a straight line until it hits and object.
- Observe light can be reflected off certain objects.
- Observe that rainbows demonstrate that all light has separate colors.
- Investigate shadows.
Download K – 2 Guide (pdf)
Seeing the Light Curriculum: 3 – 5
- Observe, investigate, and describe light: how it is transferred, what happens when objects interact with light.
- Acquire information from observation, experimentation, print and non-print sources.
- Use information gathered from experiments and other sources to explain observations and events, including actively listening for alternative interpretations and ideas.
Download 3 – 5 Guide (pdf)
Seeing the Light Curriculum: 6 – 8
- Understand the structure and function of cells, tissues, organs (cow's eye), and organ.
- Recognize systems and how they interact with each other in complex organisms.
- Understand and describe examples of the importance of scientists, science, and technology and the impact that they have on our lives.
- Understand the relationship between form and function, order and organization.