Educator guides are developed to support academic standards, and focus on important topics, skills, and activities for students of different age and classroom ranges. Each guide is Based on the New York State Elementary Science Core Curriculum and the New York City New Standards™.
Science Playground Curriculum: K – 2
Life Sciences—The 5 Senses:
- Students use all their senses, except for taste, to explore the exhibits. (They can taste lunch afterwards!)
- Explore Motion: Objects can move in different ways: straight, zigzag, fast, slow, round and round, and more.
Forces of Nature:
Science Playground Curriculum: 3 – 5
- Understand how different forms of energy and a variety of forces including friction and gravity affect the motion of objects, such as how an inclined plane?s surface impacts the motion of a sliding object.
- Describe the position, direction and motion of objects and understand forces that affect their motion such as gravity and friction.
- Acquire information from observation, experimentation, print and non-print sources.
- Use information gathered from experiments and other sources to explain observations and events, including actively listening for alternative interpretations and ideas.
Download 3 – 5 Guide (pdf)
Science Playground Curriculum: 6 – 8
Scientific Communications & Applications:
- Understand the relationship between form and function, order and organization, change and constancy.
Scientific Tools & Technologies:
- Use technology and tools to observe and measure objects.
- Acquire information from observation, experimentation, and print sources.
- Observe and describe various and different patterns of motion.
- Explain how energy is transferred or transformed from one form to another.
Download 6 – 8 Guide (pdf)